Re: Way to go, David!

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Dave Rolsky <autarch(at)urth(dot)org>,David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Adam Turoff <ziggy(at)panix(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Way to go, David!
Date: 2003-05-31 04:13:22
Lists: sfpug
PostgreSQL is an implementation of a relational database.
Like Ingres was.

Postgres' original language was QUEL, not SQL.  SQL
was added to postgres in 92 by Illustra (Wei Hong, Jeff Meridith,
Jeff Anton) and in 95 by Andrew Yu and
Jolly Chen due to (cough, cough) market demand.

Postgres(QL) is also one implementation of an object-relational
database.  That is, it implements (some) object oriented concepts
while maintaining the requirements of a relational database.

I suppose some reading of the postgres papers would
be appropriate, unless you're just trolling.

Troll on,

elein

On Friday 30 May 2003 11:24, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2003, David Wheeler wrote:
>
> > In a word: They're a huge PITA for object-oriented design. "The
> > object/relational barrier is a well-known impedence mismatch," as Ziggy
> > noted in a comment on my entry, and that's the crux of the problem to
> > me. Make no mistake, PostgreSQL is hands-down my favorite database, but
> > I wrote that entry to be deliberately provocative. The relational model
> > is good for some things, but nothing that I do. So I want to challenge
> > people to come up with a better solution. I'm not optimistic.
>
> You keep saying "relational" when you mean "SQL".  They're not the same
> thing.  They're not even that close.  Postgres is a nice SQL database, but
> it's not relational.
>

> -dave

> House Absolute Consulting
> www.houseabsolute.com

elein(at)varlena(dot)com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue