Re: Cool PL/PgSQL hack :)

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cool PL/PgSQL hack :)
Date: 2003-05-30 17:16:04
Lists: sfpug

Yeah, let me publish them!
I've got a whole issue (6 articles to fill) in the
first week of June.  I won't be able to write
as I usually do because I'll be taking care
of Mom and her new knee (!). So I'm particularly
looking for good stuff.  (I may also be looking for
stuff during the week of oscon when I will also
be away from my usual resources.)

elein

On Friday 30 May 2003 09:53, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Sean,
>
> > But, for the sake of testing, here are a few tests:
>
> These are way cool.   Mind posting an article on Techdocs with them?  On on
> Elein's site ... she asked me for an article ....
>
> > PS I know the C examples didn't connect to the SPI manager, but it
> > wasn't necessary for the tests given.  Fetching rows is IO bound and
> > my laptop's HDD isn't what I'd call server quality so I stuck to
> > purely mathematical functions for now.  pl/pgsql has a nasty habit of
> > copying data with ROWTYPE's/RECORD's, whereas in C you can use a fixed
> > buffer and just realloc() the space. *sigh* I wish pl/pgsql was
> > smarter in that regard and would only really copy if the function had
> > RETURN NEXT or returned a SETOF data.
>
> FWIW, PL/plSQL was originally written by Jan Wieck as an intermediate step to
> developing  PL/tcl, which is what he uses.  As such, the first version was
> quite hackish, and was only moderately cleaned up by Great Bridge for Oracle
> migration.  A lot of the internals of PL/pgSQL are very inefficient and could
> do with an overhaul.
>
> On the up side, it still beats the pants of T-SQL for flexibility ....
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

elein(at)varlena(dot)com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Free your mind the rest will follow" -- en vogue