Re: pgAdmin3 translation, Oid datatype

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 translation, Oid datatype
Date: 2003-05-30 06:43:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le Jeudi 29 Mai 2003 23:46, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Jean-Michel, could you give us hints on how to implement the xgettext
> process, unix and w32? The __() macro is intended to be the short form
> for gettext_noop().

Thanks Andreas. This is thrilling and so exciting.

Before tagging source files, I will try to write a small howto explaining how
to extract and merge .po files (this will also refresh my memory). Later, I
will also build a merge and download Php interface.

As usual, I have several silly questions:

1) wxGTK versions
Could you outline the Unicode differences between:
- wxGTK2.4 linked against GTK1.2,
- wxGTK2.4 linked against GTK2.0+unicode support,
- wxGTK2.5cvs linked against GTK2.0+unicode support (poEdit uses only this
version).

Unicode UTF-8 is highly needed if we want Asian languages support. Do you
think we will be able to translate pgAdmin3 into Asian languages?

If needed, I can build the required RPMs for any wxWindows version, including
with debugging support.

2) Could someone have a look at poEdit CVS source code? It seems to be a major
wxWindows project with very good UTF-8 support by definition.

3) I don't understand why a __() sting should not be translated and then
translated. Will it enable you to create a translatable pair, like
"développeur = developper". Could you point out examples of __() strings?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel