Re: Testing patches

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Nailah Ogeer <ogeer(at)cs(dot)queensu(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing patches
Date: 2003-05-26 04:19:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:11:50PM -0400, Nailah Ogeer wrote:
> I have made some changes to the buffer manager of postgresql-7.1.3 in
> /storage/buffer and relcache.c in utils/cache.

The codebase has changed very much since 7.1.3 days. Have you tried
adapting your patches to the 7.4 version (in CVS only) or the 7.3
released versions?

> The code makes fine but when i try to run initdb, it crashes. I have
> localized the problem to template1.bki and the error seems to be
> occurring at the INSERT statements. It is not liking them at all. Can
> anyone give me any tips as to where I should be looking to try to fix
> this problem

I've suffered from this pain before. The only thing that I have been
able to do is run the initdb script by hand until the point of the
crash, and then run the exact commands in postgres.bki using a
standalone backend under a debugger. Believe me, it's not a
particularly nice task. But I haven't found another way.

"Un poeta es un mundo encerrado en un hombre" (Victor Hugo)