Re: Unaccounted for disk use

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Chris Cameron <chris(at)upnix(dot)com>, Pgsql-Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unaccounted for disk use
Date: 2003-05-22 18:15:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Start psql and run:
steve=# select oid,datname from pg_database;
1 | template1
16975 | template0
557126 | phones
557196 | steve

Those oids will relate to the directories in the database:

betelgeuse:/var/lib/pgsql/data/base # ls -l
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 May 16 10:09 1
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 May 15 17:15 16975
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 May 16 10:12 557126
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 May 22 10:42 557196

Then run:
select oid,relname from pg_class;
oid | relname
557249 | byteatest
557275 | projectcheck

Then switch to the appropriate database subdirectory and look for files with
the same name as the oids from pg_class. (Of course I have oversimplified a
bit in that you could have the same table name in multiple databases but it
will be pretty easy to distinguish as you will only find one of them in your
subdirectory.)

Cheers,
Steve