Re: Connections performance is reduced

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connections performance is reduced
Date: 2003-05-21 20:32:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:56:03AM -0700, Barry Lind wrote:
> to run 'vacuum verbose' and look at how many records are actually
> vacuumed relative to when other connections are opened/closed.  I don't
> know the internals of the vacuum process very well, so I could be
> completely wrong here as well.

You're not wrong; you're right on.

This is a very common problem with long-running transactions.  A
search of the archives on something like "long running transaction"
will turn up a bunch of info about this.

The short answer to Antonio's question, though, is that long-running
transactions in Postgres are a real "gotcha".  You need to design to
avoid them.  This is especially true with JDBC, ODBC, and the rest
who use the same strategy for auto commit.

----
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110