Re: valid timezone abbreviations/displaying timezone value?

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Aditya <aditya(at)grot(dot)org>, sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein(at)varlena(dot)com
Subject: Re: valid timezone abbreviations/displaying timezone value?
Date: 2003-05-20 18:38:43
Lists: sfpug
I've added a link to the valid postgresql timezones table
in the latest issue of General Bits and also made it available
via a new link to a cache of always useful information.

http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

--elein

On Friday 16 May 2003 15:04, Aditya wrote:
> I have a timestamp column that I'd like to display in a user-defined timezone
> with:
>
>   select updated at time zone $TZONE from page;
>
> where $TZONE is a PG-valid timezone abbreviations.
>
> 1) Does anyone have a list of valid timezone abbreviations?
>
> 2) Is there a way to get the timezone to display in the above select for each
> row returned? (it only shows if I don't specify the time zone)
>
> In general, "at time zone foo" seems to be a rather poorly documented command
> -- the only mention I can easily find is in the _Practical Postgresql_ book,
> where it says "PostgreSQL supports the use of all ISO standard time zone
> abbreviations" (p.76). That would be helpful if I could find a list of
> standard ISO time zone abbrevs -- Google yielded
> http://greenwichmeantime.com/info/timezone.htm which doesn't have abbrevs for
> all timezones and PG doesn't seem to accept timezones in 'GMT+X' notation...
>
> Thanks for any help or pointers,
> Adi

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

elein(at)varlena(dot)com     Database Consulting     www.varlena.com
PostgreSQL General Bits    http:/www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
   "Left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe.
   Right foot, left foot, right foot, breathe." --Father Tom