Re: GUI Tools For PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI Tools For PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-05-12 15:57:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Arbitrating between pgAdmin and pgAccess is not at stake here. User have
> needs and software producers like the PostgreSQL community tend to answer
> these needs.

But picking one ... and only one ... *is* the issue.   Are we going to
effectively endorse PGAccess over PGAdmin and Xpg?  Or vice-versa?   Web
access is, fortunately easy due to the monopoly of PHPpgAdmin, but which
client-side GUI to use would be a very hard decision ... and would piss off a
significant contributor to Postgres no matter how you look at it.

> In the case of PostgreSQL, users needs a web interface (1) and a
> multi-platform GUI (2). Other tools like pgsql are already provided.
> Therefore, in my opinion, the question at stake is:
> "does a bundle including a web interface and a multi-platform GUI will
> speed-up the adoption of PostgreSQL?"

Not as much as a windows port will ;-)

I do think that a PHP/Apache/PostgreSQL/PHPpgAdmin bundle is a great idea, and
doesn't step on anyone's toes.   The question is ... who on this list is
going to do it?

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco