Re: UPDATE 2: Windows XP, Cygwin 1.3.22-1, PostgreSQL 7.3.2,

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UPDATE 2: Windows XP, Cygwin 1.3.22-1, PostgreSQL 7.3.2,
Date: 2003-05-08 13:05:56
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Frank,

Thanks for the write-up -- it's great.  I have just a few minor,
nitpicky comments below...

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:35:19PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>  A. WARNING!!!!  If you are running Windows XP, DO NOT USE the
>     'Switch User' feature to jump between accounts.  This is KEY! ***
>     Instead, completely log off as one user before logging on as
>     another.

A more convenient workaround is to set up sshd and use ssh to simulate
Unix's su:

    $ ssh postgres(at)localhost     # equivalent to "su postgres" on Unix

Note that the above will *not* trigger the XP Fast User Switching
problem.

>  B. Cygwin does not 'hook' itself into Windows in any serious ways.
>     It basically does 3 things:
>
>     * creates a folder on your HD (typically C:\cygwin)
>     * Creates shortcuts on your desktop and/or Start menu
>       (see [Start] | All Programs | Cygwin)
>     * Adds a few keys to the Windows Registry
>         * HKCU\Software\Cygnus Solutions
>         * HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions
>
>     This means that at any time, if you are truly unhappy with the
>     Cygwin install, to "start fresh", simply shut down any Cygwin
>     related processes (e.g., the BASH shell and anything like PostgreSQL
>     or CygIPC) so that no files are locked, and then delete the items
>     above.  Voila!  Your system is like new.

One also needs to delete the program group and registry entries to
completely remove all traces of Cygwin.

>  C. In its default configuration, you can think of Cygwin as Unix
>     running in a 'sandbox' as it were on your Windows PC.  That is,
>     Cygwin stays within it's C:\cygwin directory tree and does not
>     stray.  Any time you are asked to download a .tar/.gz/.bz file
>     and install it somehow in Cygwin, use whatever you normally would
>     use to download the file(s) in question, and just be sure to drop
>     them somewhere within C:\cygwin so that Cygwin can "see" the
>     file(s).

Cygwin can "see" any file that Windows can.  Just use /cygdrive/$X
(where $X is a drive letter such as a, c, d, etc.) to access files
which are not located under / (i.e., C:\Cygwin).

>  3. Add 'C:\cygwin\bin' to the system PATH environment variable.
>  [snip]
>     * Carefully edit the 'Variable value:' field and add an entry
>       for C:\Cygwin\bin.  I recommend adding it after the Windows
>       system paths.

I recommend adding it before the Windows systems paths, but I'm a Cygwin
bigot. :,)  Nevertheless, PostgreSQL will have problems finding sort,
find, etc. if the Cygwin path is added after instead of before.

>  7. Install CygIPC as per its instructions.
>  [snip]
>
>     Now run the Cygwin BASH Shell and type the following commands:
>
>     $ cd /
>     $ bunzip2 -c /tmp/cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

I recommend the following instead:

    $ tar -C / -xjf /tmp/cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2

Jason