Re: GUI Tools For PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Diogo de Oliveira Biazus <diogo(at)ikono(dot)com(dot)br>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI Tools For PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-05-06 15:42:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Diogo,

> By the way, I think it would be nice, for newbies, to have a PostgreSQL
> package with a default GUI tool.
> It's good for people who are starting to use it, it's more confortable,
> in my opinion.
> What do you think?

I do *not* want to arbitrate between the PGAdmin and PGAccess projects to
decied who's the default.  No way.

Besides, PostgreSQL runs on more platforms than any individual GUI does.
Plus If we include one specific GUI in the .taz.gz, then  we've added to the
download size of the file, which is a burden on the users who didn't want a
GUI at all.

I *do* think it would be a good idea to create a "So You've Just Downloaded
PostgreSQL" page with links to all of the following:
-- Instructions on installing
-- The GUI list.
-- Popular GBorg projects which are PostgreSQL accessories
-- A guide to /contrib
-- A link to the "Annotated PostgreSQL.conf"  (coming soon from me).
-- The mailing lists page

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions