Re: Optimizer not using index on 120M row table

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizer not using index on 120M row table
Date: 2003-04-30 05:56:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:14:34AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Plenty, see many past threads in pgsql-performance and other lists.
> There are strong reasons to think that you should let the kernel do the
> bulk of the caching work.

OK, anyone have any ideas on how to get FreeBSD to cache more than 300M?
:)

BTW, all the searches I did on this topic and FreeBSD resulted in
results saying I should set shared_buffers way high, so it seems FBSD
users are having pgsql do the caching instead of the OS.
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!) jim(at)nasby(dot)net