Re: SQL schema to LDAP schema ?

From: Jerome Alet <alet(at)librelogiciel(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL schema to LDAP schema ?
Date: 2003-04-28 16:17:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 09:01:13AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:

> We pump a Postgresql database to produce LDAP records and then insert them
> directly into the LDAP server.
>
> Basically, LDAP is a non-relational database, it is hierarchical (sp?) if
> I remember correctly. So, there's often no direct mapping from Postgresql
> to LDAP for everything you want. Also, the schema in LDAP is well
> defined, and much of it is pre-defined before you get it. You might find
> yourself needing to create your own schema objects, not a simple task in
> LDAP, but not as hard as you may have been led to believe.

This is what makes me a bit afraid. I know I'll have to create my
own schema, or better add informations to an existing one. My problem
is not to insert data in the new schema or retrieve it.

> One thing to look at is OpenLDAP 2.1, which now officially supports
> Postgresql as it's official SQL backend. If you got that up and running,
> it might give a nice window into the way OpenLDAP uses Postgresql as a
> datastore and offer up some clues on how to do some of this.

Well maybe, or maybe I'll have to buy some books on the subject.

> If you just need a script to grab data from Postgresql and get it into
> LDAP, I can help, but all our code to do that is in PHP, so you'll either
> need to set up that language or convert it into Perl or something a little
> more ubiquitous.

No that's not what I wanted. This is for people who wants to use
the tool I've written with their existing LDAP backend instead of
with a PostgreSQL backend that they don't want to install for
some reason (I can't see any ;-)

Thanks for all.

Jerome Alet