Re: A couple XP Postgres Cygwin problems

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Nachi Gupta <ngupta2(at)seas(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple XP Postgres Cygwin problems
Date: 2003-04-28 13:20:51
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Nachi,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:13:04PM -0400, Nachi Gupta wrote:
> I have read the README and past posts among other things...

Did you read the following README?

http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.2.README

> 1) when i try to start the cygwin ipc daemon, I get error 1058: the
> service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
> fashion.

Note the following:

$ fgrep 1058L /usr/include/w32api/winerror.h
#define ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED 1058L

> I made the log in as postgres for this service (And I set postgres to
> login as service, etc.)

The above is not necessary for ipc-daemon.

> 2) After creating postgres, I could not su to postgres with the passwd
> nor could I login to postgres.

Neither su (even when patched) or login will function correctly unless
they are run from a very privileged account (i.e., LocalSystem).

> First I had to create a home directory for postgres and copy my own
> .bash_profile there. (This may helpo others with similar problem
> since this is not mentioned in README file).

The home directory is only necessary if one is using ssh to simulate su.
If switching users (to postgres) is causing you problems, then just log
in as postgres using the normal Windows log in procedure.

Note that creating .bash_profile is completely unnecessary.

> Now when I try to login, I get the following error (using login not su
> since cygwin recommends login not su)

The Cygwin list does *not* recommend login.

> [snip]
>
> This may be more of a cygwin question, but I'm sure that everyone
> trying to get through this installation had similar problems.

AFAICT, the above is an erroneous assumption.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6