Re: Free advertising opportunity for PostgreSQL in the "The Open Source Reference Book 2003"

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free advertising opportunity for PostgreSQL in the "The Open Source Reference Book 2003"
Date: 2003-04-25 15:38:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Friday 25 April 2003 20:39, Robert Treat wrote:
> > 2) Where do I find a concise, precise definition of "About Postgresql"?
> > I would like to write a new one in light of what we have. I think we do
> > not have a short and good enough desription of that. Correct me if I am
> > wrong.
>
> The current ones are available at:
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/about/
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/news/2002112801/

OK, I am trying here, because one of the above two is a version dependent
stuff and other is not about postgresql but about postgresql development
community.

So here is my shot.

Postgresql

Postgresql is a full featured RDBMS grown from academics roots to an
enterprise class database, thanks to worldwide development community. It runs
on most variants of Unix systems and a native windows port will be available
by late 2003.

Postgresql strives for SQL standard compliance. It is simple and can work with
modest amount of resources. Though postgresql ships with extremely modest
defaults, it can handle extremely large datasets with proper tuning and
hardware assistance.

Data integrity tops the list of postgresql priorities. That does not eclipse
the fact that it is very fast as well. It is very easy to administrator. One
of the reason it is simple to administer is that it believes in clear
separation of OS administration and database administration.

Postgresql features wide variety of accessiblity options like C/C++/Perl
bindings and JDBC/ODBC. Hence applications written in almost any
language/frontend can be made to talk to postgresql.

Postgresql is extremenly flexible. It allows to create user-defined data types
and languages. This provides immense amount of control and can be embedded in
operating environment to a great dpeth.

Postgresql supports multibyte character sets allowing multilingual data. It is
also capable to using most popular network connection types including IPv4
and IPv6. It also features a flexible security system.

Postgresql is supported by plethora of third party tools and libraries. This
makes working with postgresql extremenly easy.

Postgresql progress is contributed by it's users. Any contribution from
community is always welcome.

So it is open for review. Any comments are welcome.

> If you want to write up something else, please post it to the list and
> we'll go from there.
>
> > 3) Do we have government references? Does not look like from case study
> > section. They would be great.
>
> I believe we have more, but the only one I could come up with on short
> notice was the Fred II site.
> http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/

I couldn't dig any page saying they use postgresql. That would be a great page
to link.

Shridhar