Re: Fwd: Licensing

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: "" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Licensing
Date: 2003-04-18 12:59:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 18 April 2003 17:24,  wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Daniel Albahary <Daniel(dot)Albahary(at)scius(dot)com>
> ----- Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:37:17 -0400
> From: Daniel Albahary <Daniel(dot)Albahary(at)scius(dot)com>
> Subject: Licensing
> To: justin(at)postgresql(dot)org
>
> Hi,
> I'm wondering how to license PostgreSQL.  Ie. we are an HSP and one of
> our clients has their site built using PostgreSQL. In order for us to
> host it for them, what kind of licensing is required.

------------------------------------
Postgrersql is licensed under BSD license and developed by worldwider
community of develpers/users.

The salient features of this license are

1. Primary means of availability are in source form. Pre-compiled binaries for
various platforms are offered by OS packagers, like linux distributions.

2. There are no per seat license or server licenses that are needed for it.
One can just get the postgresql source/binaries and use it. There are no
restrictions on how it is used.

3. BSD license is one of the oldest license used for open source software. It
allows a commercial entity to customize the software and resell it.

Please understand that none of us are lawyers. So this reply may not answer
some of technical corner cases. But above is gist of BSD license. If you
wish, you can download postgresql source code from http://www.postgresql.org
and get an expert opinion on it.

If you get an external legal opinion on this, we would be grateful to share
such an opinion as we do not have any official lawyers associated with this
project. That would be a nice contribution to the community

I tried to modify the standard reply to suit his context but I am bored to
write same reply every time. Had to invent something new to keep it
attractive..:-)

Again sending to list for review.

HTH

BTW, Justin, what's up with "" in the name field?

 Shridhar