Re: for help!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,linweidong <wdlin(at)sis(dot)sh(dot)cn>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: for help!
Date: 2003-04-16 15:48:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Well, you can always use the trick of putting an on insert / delete
> trigger on the table that maintains a single row table with the current
> count.  That way, whenever a row is added or removed, the count is
> updated.  this will slow down inserts and deletes a little, but TANSTAAFL.

BTW, I tested this for a client.   I found the performance penalty on inserts
and updates to be:

-- For a single stream of intermittent updates from a single connection
   on an adequately powered server with moderate disk support (IDE Linux RAID)
   (100 inserts/updates per minute, with VACUUM every 5 minutes)
   PL/pgSQL Trigger:  20% penalty      C Trigger: 9-11% penalty

-- For 5 streams of inserts and updates at high volume on an overloaded
   server with moderate disk support (dual fast SCSI disks)
   (1000 inserts/updates per minute, vacuum every 5 minutes)
   PL/pgSQL Trigger: 65% penalty    C Trigger: 40% penalty

Please note that the effective performance penalty on inserts and updates was
dramatically higher for large batches of updates than for small ones.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco