Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: "Wayne Armstrong" <wdarmst(at)bacchus(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 08:30:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

** Reply to message from Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net> on 15 Apr 2003 08:12:04
+0200
Hi,
I've got to agree with this.
We have just been through the excercise of porting our quite extensive fleet
maintenance and accounting package from db2 to postgres. While the port was not
without pain :) the results are very good. We run windows clients, (mostly),
and whatever the database of choice performs best on for the backend. We are
seeing performance gains for the 20-100 user bracket of a factor of 10 to 20
for switching from db2 to postgres on the same platform.
We literally could not port this stuff to mysql. It does not have enough
feature to support us :)
Definitely the story is not that postgres competes with mysql/access but
rather with db2/oracle, and the point in time recovery coming in the next
release, just strengthens that story a whole lot more too.

And, client reaction to an opensource (free :) database on linux has been very
enthusiastic.

Regards,
Wayne
http://www.bacchus.com.au