Re: export to excel format

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: John McNamara <jmcnamara(at)cpan(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: export to excel format
Date: 2003-04-14 01:05:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 15:05:34 -0700,
John McNamara <jmcnamara(at)cpan(dot)org> wrote:
> bruno(at)wolff(dot)to (Bruno Wolff III) wrote:
>
> > I wrote a perl program that gets data from
> > the database and writes excel spreadsheets. It uses Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
> > which you can get from CPAN. It seems to be pretty slow. It takes about
> > 3 minutes to produce a 4MB spreadsheet.
>

> Are you sure that the delay is caused by Spreadsheet::WriteExcel. The
> following program produces a 4MB file in 3 seconds on a P700:

That runs in a couple of seconds here. There must be something else making
it a lot slower. Splitting the sheets out with ParseExcel takes about a
minute, so just having about four hundred worksheets may account for
a good chunk of the time if there is substantial per sheet overhead.
There also is a query per sheet that takes about a quarter of a second per
sheet. This would account for about a minute and a half right there.