Re: choosing the right platform

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt(at)bearfruit(dot)org>,"'Pgsql-Performance'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: choosing the right platform
Date: 2003-04-09 18:03:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
Matthew,

> I read through the entire archive at
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/ and didn't see much talk
> on the subject.  It only goes back 8 months though, so I don't know if there
> is another archive that is more comprehensive...

Really?  There was a long-running Mac OS X vs. Solaris thread that touched on
most major platforms, about 2-3 months ago.

> I don't suspect that individual tables will be 2GB, but that the size of all
> tables combined will be.  If there is a limitation on the largest chunk of
> RAM allocated to a program, will I have problems?

No.  Since PostgreSQL is a multi-process architecture, not a multi-threaded,
you only need enough RAM per process to load the current largest query.

Plus, in my experience, Disk I/O issues are vastly more important than RAM in
database performance.   You're better off spending money on really fast disks
in Linux RAID or really good hardware RAID 1+0 ....

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions