Re: Psql 'Expanded display (\x)' behaviour

From: Ennio-Sr <nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Psql 'Expanded display (\x)' behaviour
Date: 2003-04-05 15:13:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Ennio-Sr writes:
>
> > toggling on/off the 'Expanded display' (in psql) does affect the display
> > of non-ascii chars.
>
> Not at all. It's only an alternative table format.

Yes, but when I try to display this 'alternative table format' I found
that some of the chars (precisely those not in ascii 0-127) loose the
appearance ('glyph') they have when expanded display is off!

OK, I'll try to better explain what I mean:
I enter my db with $ psql mydb, then _I create a test table:_

mydb=#create table pro_chars (code text, glyph text);

and _insert some values:_

mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+176', '°');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+177', '±');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+178', '²');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+171', '«');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+187', '»');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('ALT+233', 'é');
mydb=#insert into pro_chars values ('A with grave', 'à');

(I typed the code values as you read them and the glyphs (which won't
display on your screen if you aren't in Latin1, perhaps) pressing in
turn: apostrophe, LeftAltKey + numbers on numerical keypad, apostrophe.)

Finally I _display my table:_

mydb=#select * from pro_chars;

and _everything is ok_, i.e. correct glyphs corresponding to the codes
are displayed.

Then I _toggle on the expanded display:_

mydb=#\x

and again:

mydb=#select * from pro_chars;

but (in the glyph column) I get, respectively: 0, 1, 2, +, ;, , 1

Could you please reproduce this on your PC and see what happens?

> Perhaps the problem is that the pager does not handle the accented
> characters right.

Ehm ... I don't think pager has anything to do with the chars; I quoted
it only to underline the necessity for me to use 'Expanded display on'
as the only mean to see one page at a time, since I verified that pager
is not working with my tables!
It doesn't even work with the display of history: if I do:
mydb=# \s
the whole history will scroll on my screen and I'll be able to see last
page only! I read somewhere (/usr/share/doc/postgres-doc?) that pager
is not very reliable as to the correct judgement on where to stop!

Thanks for your attention, Peter.
Regards,
Ennio.
--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (°|°)