Re: Please help with this error message

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please help with this error message
Date: 2003-03-31 13:28:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 03:48:00PM -0700, Chris Smith wrote:

> pg_dump doesn't work. Our SA copied the files, and all testing seems to
> indicate that the database is working just the same on the new server as the
> old location.

Even more, then, I suspect the original server. If bad data made it
in such that you can't COPY it out, then it'll be bad everywhere you
go.

What you need to do is figure out what table it's on and what
record(s) it is. I think you might want to try playing with
pg_filedump to get some ideas. If all else fails, you can get the
data on either side of it by SORTing from the top of the table and
the bottom. You can then select all that into a file, and put it
into a freshly-created table. Not ideal, but it'll get you there.
Others will undoubtedly have more elegant solutions.

By the way, the potential for inserting bad records is one reason we
always specify ECC RAM for database machines.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8