Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?

From: Hacksaw <hacksaw(at)hacksaw(dot)org>
To: "Steve Wolfe" <nw(at)codon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Date: 2003-03-27 23:25:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

> That's the nature of the beast with RPM's, or any other package manager,
> for that matter. When you allow someone else to do the work and make the
> decisions for you, you're not always guaranteed that their decisions are
> going to be what you want.

Of course not. However, RPM's can be set up to prevent disaster, and this is
what I am trying to arrange.

> Compiling PG (and most Unix software) from source really isn't that
> hard. Some utilities rarely, if ever need to be updated, and when they
> do, using RPM's is just fine. But for things like PG, I personally feel
> that you do yourself a great disservice by not compiling it yourself. Of
> course, YMMV.

Unless there are compile time variables that need to be set there is no real
advantage to compiling on your own, save for maybe getting a small speed up
because you are compiling for a particular CPU.

I'd be surprised if there were any other real advantage. This is a pretty
mature product, and not one that requires a great deal of knowledge about the
system it's going to be run on, like a package requiring a GL graphics card
and sound.

Everything after that is going to be buffer sizes and other small tweaks that
can be done to the machine or on the command line.

--
In the creative leap, history waits outside.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD