Re: Page Size in Future Releases

From: Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page Size in Future Releases
Date: 2003-03-23 08:46:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Am Samstag, 22. März 2003 01:15 schrieb Tom Lane:
> "Kendrick C. Wilson" <kendrick_wilson(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Will a increase in the size of a data page increase performance of a
> > database with large records?
>
> Probably not; in fact the increased WAL overhead could make it a net
> loss. But feel free to try changing BLCKSZ to see how it works for you.

I've several database with 32KB and 8KB, and though the results are not really comparable due to slight different hardware, I've the feeling that 8KB buffers work best in most cases. The only difference I noticed are large objects which seem to work slightly better with larger sizes.

Regards,
Mario Weilguni