Re: Page Size in Future Releases

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page Size in Future Releases
Date: 2003-03-21 04:03:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
Shridar,

> One reason I know where it would help is getting postgresql to use tons of
> shaerd memory. Right now postgresql can not use much beyond 250MB(??)
> because number of shared buffer are int or something. So if you know your
> reconrds are large, are often manipulated and your OS is not so good at
> file caching, then increasing page size might help.

Um, two fallacies:
1) You can allocate as much shared buffer ram as you want.  The maxium I've
tested is 300mb, personally, but I know of no hard limit.

2) However, allocating more shared buffer ram ... in fact anything beyond
about 40mb ... has never been shown by anyone on this list to be helpful for
any size database, and sometimes the contrary.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions