Re: XML ouput for psql

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML ouput for psql
Date: 2003-03-18 14:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > What would be interesting would be to enable libpq to dump XML, and have
> > psql use that.
>
> ... or in the backend so libpq could use it, and thence psql.
>
> > Why put XML capability in the backend?
>
> So that non-libpq-based clients could use it.

OK, I have two ideas here. First, can we create a function that takes a
query result and returns one big XML string. I am not sure how to pump
a result into a function. The other downside is that we would have to
construct the entire result string in memory.

The other idea I had was a GUC variable that returned all query results
as one big XML string. That would prevent creating the entire string in
backend memory, and might enable cursor fetches through the XML string.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us