Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Logan Bowers <logan(at)datacurrent(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, sean(at)chittenden(dot)org,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org
Date: 2003-03-18 16:26:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
Logan,

> I'm running this db on a celeron 450Mhz with 256MB RAM and a 60GB HDD
> (7200 rpm).  For the most part I have the db running "well enough."  Over

Hmmm ... actually, considering your hardware, I'd say the database performance
you're getting is excellent.   You're facing 3 bottlenecks:

1) The Celeron II's lack of on-chip cache will slow down even moderately
complex queries as much as 50% over a comparably-clocked pentium or AMD chip,
in my experience.

2) 256mb RAM is small enough that if you are running Apache on the same
machine, Apache & Postgres could be contesting for RAM during busy periods.

3) (most noticable) You have pretty much the bare minimum of disk.  For a
one-gb database, a Linux RAID array or mirror would be a lot better ...

Of course, that's all relative.   What I'm saying is, if you want your
database to "scream" you're going to have to put some money into hardware.
If you're just looking for adequate performance, then that can be had with a
little tweaking and maintainence.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions