Re: ISNULL performance tweaks

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Matt Mello <alien(at)spaceship(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ISNULL performance tweaks
Date: 2003-03-06 19:12:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Matt,

> Man, I wish PG indexed nulls! Is there any plan on adding these in the
> future?

BTW, this is a design argument. As far as a lot of SQL-geeks are concerned
(and I'm one of them) use of NULLs should be minimized or eliminiated
entirely from well-normalized database designs. In such designs, IS NULL
queries are used only for outer joins (where indexes don't matter) or for
data integrity maintainence (where query speed doesn't matter).

As a result, the existing core team doesn't see this issue as a priority.
What fixing it requires is a new programmer who cares enough about it to hack
it. What would be really nice is the ability to create an index WITH NULLS,
as follows:

CREATE INDEX idx_tablename_one ON tablename(column_one) WITH NULLS;

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions