Re: Win32 Powerfail testing

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 Powerfail testing
Date: 2003-03-05 13:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > So far we found interesting facts. Our Win32 port passes his
> > test in most cases. However if power of the machine is turned
> > off right after (10 to 20 seconds) the Checkpoint has been
> > made, it does not passes his test. So we are thinking that
> > there is someting wrong with the checkpoint implementaion for
> > Win32 port, which is essentially same as Jan's
> > implementation. i.e. using _flushall() instead of sync().  We
> > were looking for a fix or an alternative implementaion of
> > sync() without success.
>
> Hi Tatsuo,
>
> Does this help:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;66052

Sorry, but it does not help. The page says we could use
FlushFileBuffers() to sync the kernel buffer to the
disk. Unfortunately, it requires a file descriptor to flush for its
argument. Thus it could not be a replacement of sync(). Actually I
have modified the buffer manager so that it remembers all file
descriptors those have not been synced yet to the disk at the
checkpoint time to sync them later. However I found this modification
does not help at all with some reason I don't know.
--
Tatsuo Ishii