Re: debug a mess

From: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Matthew Vanecek <mevanecek(at)yahoo(dot)com>,pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debug a mess
Date: 2003-02-26 21:10:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On 25/02/03 16:27 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com> writes:
> > The entire code from PQconnect until PQfinish goes like this:
>
> That sure looks harmless.  I wonder if there is something failing in the
> PQconnect() step (like the queries that libpq sends on its own)?
>
> I'd suggest enabling query logging --- see postgresql.conf, or just do
> 	export PGOPTIONS="--log_statement=1"
> before starting your program.  (Check Admin Guide first, as this
> parameter got renamed recently.)  Then look in the postmaster log to get
> a better idea of what's really going on.
 <snip>

Where is postmaster log? I found a new file in /var/log/pgsql. I put
log_connections = yes and syslog = 2 into my postgresql.conf file and expect
something to happen. Restarted postgresql service on my redhat 7.3 box and
tried a couple of queries with psql utility. Nothing seemed to have been
logged in /var/log/pgsql.

Under /var/lib/pgsql/data, there isn't any new files appearing.

By the way, how do I check to see what kind of options had been used in my
postgresql build?

Thanks

Wei