Re: slow query

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Clarence Gardner <clarence(at)silcom(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Lebedev <oleg(dot)lebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>,"pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: slow query
Date: 2003-02-24 18:45:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
Robert,

> Actually if you are vacuuming frequently enough, it can (and should*)
> obviate a vacuum full. Be aware that frequently enough might mean really
> frequent, for instance I have several tables in my database that update
> every row within a 15 minute timeframe, so I run a "lazy" vacuum on
> these tables every 10 minutes. This allows postgresql to reuse the space
> for these tables almost continuously so I never have to vacuum full
> them.

This would assume absolutely perfect FSM settings, and that the DB never gets
thrown off by unexpected loads.  I have never been so fortunate as to work
with such a database.   However, I agree that good FSM tuning and frequent
regular VACUUMs can greatly extend the period required for running FULL.

I have not found, though, that this does anything to prevent the need for
REINDEX on frequently-updated tables.  How about you, Robert?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions