Linking to "current" docs

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linking to "current" docs
Date: 2003-02-23 10:55:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

With the "old" idocs it was possible to create links to the "current"
version of individual documentation pages without having to
provide a Postgres version number, e.g.:

http://www.PostgreSQL.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html

which would remain constant over longer periods of time. Providing
no major restructuring of the docs takes place, this is a useful
low-maintenance way of linking to the docs without worrying
too much about version changes and seems to be used in a
variety of places.

With the new documentation at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
(which is BTW very nice) this approach doesn't appear to work :-(.

Would it be possible to modify the new docs to provide similar
functionality? E.g. something like

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=current&idoc=0&file=sql-createtable.html

If neccessary I can provide time to do this (though I have no idea
of what would be involved ;-).

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net