upgrade clobbers PERL DBD interface

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver(at)gtwebmarque(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: upgrade clobbers PERL DBD interface
Date: 2003-02-17 01:17:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

I've come across this problem a couple of times, first when upgrading to
7.2.something, then from that to 7.3.2 (I forgot it happened the first time,
duh).

After upgrading the installation as per the INSTALL doc, PERL scripts which
	use DBI;
	my $dbh = DBI->connect('DBI:Pg:dbname=...
fail with the error

install_driver(Pg) failed: Can't load
'/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so' for module
DBD::Pg: libpq.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 206.
 at (eval 1) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
 at /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi line 78

Happily, reinstalling the PERL module with
cpan> install DBD::Pg
rectified the situation.

My configuration was
./configure --with-perl
Although the INSTALL file says this is to build the PL/Perl internal language,
not the DBI interface, I wonder if this could have something to do with it.

Actually, looking through my records I see I've come across this error message
before as well, mabye or mabye not due to a postgres upgrade and the solution
then was to run ldconfig after making sure the path to a .so file was in the
ldconfig configuration file.

I'm not sure how many people this would affect, but I thought I'd better
notify someone as it has occured on two different servers of ours, a FreeBSD
virtual private server and a redhat 7.2.

--
Regards,
Oliver

GT webMarque

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: St├ęphane PinelDate: 2003-02-17 11:52:06