Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default configuration)

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tuning scenarios (was Changing the default configuration)
Date: 2003-02-14 05:31:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:
> If I thought that pgbench was representative of anything, or even
> capable of reliably producing repeatable numbers, then I might subscribe
> to results derived this way. But I have little or no confidence in
> pgbench. Certainly I don't see how you'd use it to produce
> recommendations for a range of application scenarios, when it's only
> one very narrow scenario itself.

So let's say you were designing a tool to help someone get reasonable
performance out of a PostgreSQL installation. What scenarios would
you include in such a tool, and what information would you want out of
it?

You don't have any real confidence in pgbench. Fair enough. What
*would* you have confidence in?

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com