Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks
Date: 2003-02-13 09:09:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm. I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks. It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

Not fair, perhaps.

But if you look, you'll see that *Cygwin* PostgreSQL beat most
everything on the Win32 platform except MySQL and Oracle with PL/SQL.
Read further and you'll see that Cygwin PostgreSQL came *really* close
(within 10% or something) to MS-SQL.

Considering that they weren't even running a native version of
PostgreSQL, I think the results were surprisingly *good*.

But yes, we really do want to be the fastest. :-)

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com