Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From: "Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks
Date: 2003-02-12 06:14:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 8:01 pm, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> >Hrm. I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> >benchmarks. It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> >Win32 isn't really fair:
> >
> >http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> And why is the highly advocated transaction capable MySQL 4 not tested?
> That's the problem, for every performance test they choose ISAM tables, and
> when transactions are mentioned it's said "MySQL has transactions". But why
> no benchmarks?

I did benchmark mysql/postgresql/oracle sometime back. Mysql with transaction
is 90% as fast as postgresql. But it dies down with increased number of users
no matter how much resources you throw at it.

Oracle is 130% of postgresql. This was postgresql 7.2.x series so things have
changed for sure, but you got the idea, right?

Shridhar