Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-31 13:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Jeff Davis wrote:
> >>What about it? Someone claimed in this thread that MySQL's Windows port
> >>requires Cygwin. Is that true or not?
> >
> > It's been a while, but I know I've installed MySQL on windows without any
> > separate step of installing Cygwin (I can't say 100% for sure that it didn'
> > install some part of Cygwin transparently to me).
>
> From the MySQL site's page about MySQL vs PostgreSQL:
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
>
> "MySQL Server works better on Windows than PostgreSQL does. MySQL Server
> runs as a native Windows application (a service on NT/2000/XP), while
> PostgreSQL is run under the Cygwin emulation."
>
> That seems pretty straightforward.

But it's not /nearly/ that straightforward.

If you look at the downloads that MySQL AB provides, they point you to a link
that says "Windows binaries use the Cygwin library."

Which apparently means that this "feature" is not actually a feature. Unlike
PostgreSQL, which "is run under the Cygwin emulation," MySQL runs as a native
Windows application (with Cygwin emulation). Apparently those are not at all
the same thing, even though they are both using Cygwin...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html