Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report
Date: 2003-01-31 14:13:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:57:17AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> Hm? DNS completely separates IPv4 and IPv6 addresses; they're different
> record types ("A" versus "AAAA") in the DNS "database".
>
> And the "interoperation" if IPv4 and IPv6 is pretty much not happening,
> if you're talking about the compatability addresses. I won't get into
> all the reasons why.

I know it's not happening. On the other hand, IPv6 isn't happening
terribly much, either.

Soon, the NAT + CIDR bag-on-the-side will run out of room, and people
will have no choice but to use IPv6. But the pain of making them
interoperate is part of the cause of resistance. The compatibility
addresses are going to _have_ to work if people are really going to
move, unless someone is contemplating another great TCP/IP cutover
day. (And that didn't even work last time, when several networks
just dropped right off the proto-Net for a while.) So it seems to me
that the compatibility addresses are going to need to be supported by
any IPv6-aware system.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada