Re: Request for qualified column names

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Request for qualified column names
Date: 2003-01-31 06:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Dave Cramer writes:
>
> > The method in question is
> > ResultSetMetaDate.getTableName(int column)
> > and while were at it
> > ResultSetMetaData.getSchemaName(int column)
> > and FWIW, the return value if not applicable is ""
>
> Not applicable sounds fine to me.  It's like taking a file descriptor and
> asking what file it belongs to.  That information simply doesn't exist,
> and if you design an application around it you lose.

Yes, but in cases we can supply the info with the proper GUC variable
enabled, why not do it?   I realize most people don't want it, but if
jdbc does, and it is something folks would use, maybe we should enable
it for the easy cases.

However, the number of cases where we would not be able to easily report
it may make the feature useless.