Re: Oracle CEO on the limits of open-source databases.

From: "Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle CEO on the limits of open-source databases.
Date: 2003-01-30 15:23:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 8:40 pm, you wrote:

> Interesting interview with the CEO of Oracle, especially the first
> section where he dismisses open-source databases outright:
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/cgi-bin/printer.pl?issue=2002-11&article=ellison
>
> Most interesting quote about open-source databases:
> > It's not just scale. There's no security. [There's no] scalability,
> > security, or reliability. If you give up any of those, you can't
> > do this. Another reason you'd be out of your mind to use them is
> > because you'd have to buy twice as much hardware. We run, I don't
> > know, ten times, a hundred times faster than they do on the same
> > hardware.

Apparently he is aware of postgres. Look at this.
----
Linux is crucial for all the Unixes. You want people in universities to learn
Unix, not Windows. It's great that you can get a free version of Linux, a
free version of Postgres, a free version of this and a free version of that,
and that everybody in [academia] can go and play with this stuff and not
break any of the laws or steal anybody's software. And that's good news,
because people tend to like what they know. Otherwise, they might be using
Windows.
----

but when it comes to comparing databases he sticks to mySQL. I would say he is
worth his job of CEO..;-)

 Shridhar