Re: Python DB-API problem with PostgresSQL pgdb.

From: Gerhard Häring <haering_postgresql(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python DB-API problem with PostgresSQL pgdb.
Date: 2003-01-28 09:00:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Carwyn Edwards <cedward1(at)inf(dot)ed(dot)ac(dot)uk> wrote:
> The Python DB-API (2.0) specifies that on creation a connection object
> is to start a transaction if the database supports them. The pgdb
> implementation of the DB-API does this:

> class pgdbCnx:
>
> def __init__(self, cnx):
> self.__cnx = cnx
> self.__cache = pgdbTypeCache(cnx)
> try:
> src = self.__cnx.source()
> src.execute("BEGIN")
> except:
> raise OperationalError, "invalid connection."

pyPgSQL (and psycopg, IIRC) solves this problem by having a .autocommit
connection level setting. Just do con.autocommit = 1 before issuing any
statements that PostgreSQL cannot execute within a transaction.

I'd suggest you simply switch to one of these Python DB-API modules. Apart from
the .connect and import call you very likely won't have to change *anything* in
your code.

Btw. if anybody wants to patch PyGreSQL accordingly, they're welcome to help
themselves with the pyPgSQL source, as it's under a MIT-like license as well.

Btw. IIRC there are a few other DB-API modules that implement .autocommit as
well. Maybe one day this will make it into the DB-API optional extensions.

-- Gerhard