Re: Mount options for Ext3?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mount options for Ext3?
Date: 2003-01-25 02:22:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Kevin,

> So if I'm right about that, then you might consider using the
> "data=writeback" option for the filesystem that contains the actual
> data (usually /usr/local/pgsql/data), but I'd use the default
> ("data=ordered") at the very least (I suppose there's no harm in using
> "data=journal" if you're willing to put up with the performance hit,
> but it's not clear to me what benefit, if any, there is) for
> everything else.

Well, the only reason I use Ext3 rather than Ext2 is to prevent fsck's on
restart after a crash. So I'm interested in the data option that gives the
minimum performance hit, even if it means that I sacrifice some reliability.
I'm running with fsynch on, and the DB is on a mirrored drive array, so I'm
not too worried about filesystem-level errors.

So would that be "data=writeback"?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions