Re: Having trouble with backups (was: Re: Crash Recovery)

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Having trouble with backups (was: Re: Crash Recovery)
Date: 2003-01-24 16:13:33
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:16:42AM -0500, Carlos Moreno wrote:
> obvious question:  is there a way to make incremental backup?

Not really, at the moment.  Sorry.  It's supposed to be coming soon
(see my other message about PITR).

> my system *freezes* until pg_dump finishes.  When I say "system",

> Is this normal?  Is there any way to avoid it?  (I guess if I

No, it's not normal.  I think some additional digging is needed.

One thing that is important is to make sure your pg_dump doesn't
cause swapping on the machine.  Causing swapping is easy if you have
been too aggressive in shared-memory allocation for the postmaster,
and your OS is careless about who gets to be a candidate for paging.
(Solaris 7.1 without priority paging was subject to this problem, for
instance).

----
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110