Re: Replication

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2003-01-23 18:53:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:38:25AM +0100, Enrico Ortmann wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone know a solution for replicating a PG7.2 Database. We'd
> prefer a bidirectional replication but it doesn't have to be that
> way. A simple one-way-rep would match our basic interests as well.
> The documentation of the eRServer on postgres.com does not give
> very much detailed information about f.e. the integrated features -
> or I didn't find them.

There's not much in the way of integrated features. More or less,
you get (possibly more than one) slave replicated from one master.
The model is async., so there is a gap between the transaction on the
master and it committing on the slave. It's a _small_ gap, but it is
there.

> the very nice licence model. But our main focus is set to a
> _stable_ and _performant_ solution. At first we want to replicate
> from one Master to one slave, but in the near future it seems that
> the environment would extend to about five slaves.

We are currently using eRServer for the .info registry, and starting
next week it will also underpin the .org registry. Dunno if that's
good enough performance for you. It works for us.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8