Patrick's Evil Query

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patrick's Evil Query
Date: 2003-01-14 21:09:18
Lists: sfpug
Folks,

For those of you who were present at last night's meeting, we decided to
tackle an "evil" query presented us by Patrick, which was taking 3.5 minutes
to execute.

For David & Matt, who had to leave before we solved it, Stephan and I found
the problem.   At the output stage of the query, Patrick was executing a
60-line CASE statement with type conversions which accounted for a full
minute-and-a-half of the excution time for the query.   Replaceing the CASE
statement with a function should improve the situation.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

sfpug by date

Next:From: eleinDate: 2003-01-14 23:54:30