Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?
Date: 2003-01-04 04:58:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Between 7.2 and 7.3 there was an API change to the pgnotify(?)
> struct or something.  When 7.3 was released, we forgot to bump the
> version number, so we're doing it now.  It was something of an
> oversight, but it really needed to be done.
>
> There have been HEAPS of security fixes between 7.2 and 7.3.
> Depending on your definition of security.  eg. Going 'select
> cash_out(2);' on any 7.2 server and below will crash the backend.
> It will not do that in 7.3.  Most of the buffer problems were fixed
> in 7.2.3.
>
> Since going from 7.2 to 7.3 is a significant upgrade, the FreeBSD
> guys would probablyu be right tho to refuse such a major upgrade...
> Still, it's a pity though.  Postgres 7.3 has been tested and works
> fine on FreeBSD 5.

The databases/postgresql7 port has been updated and 7.3.1 should
appear in the 5.0 release.  ;) Not all postgresql ports have been
updated though since some of the PRs are assigned to another
committer.  :-/ Let me know if there are any requests from BSD DBAs
that'd like to see a port that they highly depend on updated.

> ps. Why is Postgres 7.3 still in ports/databases/postgresql-devel ??
> Actually, maybe it was a good thing since if 7.3.1 becomes the new standard
> port people won't be bitten so much by the library version bump.

The -devel port has been out for a few months, those that are serious
DBAs likely have a staging/test environment to work with.  If anyone
runs across any serious problems on FreeBSD, let me know ASAP.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden