Re: Upgrading rant.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading rant.
Date: 2003-01-04 01:36:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, taking up the pg_upgrade banner, I think there are two things
missing from the current code:

1) schema awareness -- easily fixed with some code
2) need to creat clog files to match incremented xid

I can do 1, and I think Tom can help me with 2. Then folks can test it
and see how it works. It is that last part that made me stop around
7.2, and 7.3 had a heap format change that guarantteed it wouldn't work.
Also, I think we make index format changes more frequently that Tom
recollects. Tom?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us