Re: Upgrading rant.

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>,Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading rant.
Date: 2003-01-04 01:31:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> There isn't any fundamental reason why we cannot have a pg_upgrade
> >> utility; claiming that there is something wrong with how we handle
> >> catalog changes misses the point.
>
> > pg_upgrade does work, assuming there are no changes to the index or heap
> > file formats.
>
> Does it really work?  I had thought that there were some issues
> associated with adjusting transaction numbers that couldn't be solved
> by pg_upgrade in its present shell-script form; I was anticipating that
> pg_upgrade would have to be rewritten as a C program so that it could
> get at stuff at the necessary low level.  I cannot recall the details
> right at the moment though.

It just needs to be able to create an empty clog file, I think.  You
actually gave me the steps, but weren't sure it would work, and it was
post-7.2 anyway, so I never did it.  The issue is that once we increment
the transaction log counter, we need to create the proper clog file.  I
didn't see in my testing because my testing db wasn't big enough.