Re: RI Constraint display

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RI Constraint display
Date: 2002-12-31 04:26:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, elein wrote:

> Then this is a distinction between the trigger name and
> the constraint name? The trigger name is RI_ConstraintTrigger_437278
> (or some such oid). The trigger is the implementation of the constraint
> so the trigger name is what I had expected to see.

There are three triggers for the constraint though. It needs a name
separate from those of the triggers (or it could pick one of the triggers
to name it after, but that seems just as confusing to me).

> Almost all of the system generated names, sequences, triggers, etc,
> have constructed names. $n for constrain names seems like an anomaly.

I think it's been that way for check constraints for a long time unless I
remember incorrectly. When the change was made to actually name the
constraint (rather than naming them all unnamed) I figure the current
naming convention was carried across.