trouble dropping type + some feature request

From: _ <ndescripto(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: trouble dropping type + some feature request
Date: 2002-12-28 03:33:52
Lists: pgsql-general
Hello AllI am a long time user and with a wishful thinking I attempted create a pl/pgsql function with return type "record".  Now I can now longer drop that data type even after I drop the function.Here is what I get if I do \dT.. snipped..polygon                     | geometric polygon '(pt1,...)' real                        | single-precision floating point number, 4-byte storage record                      |  refcursor                   | reference cursor (portal name) regproc                     | registered procedure..----Now if I drop it as as a database owner I get permission denied---what=> drop type record;ERROR:  RemoveType: type 'record': permission deniedwhat=> ---So I change myself to superuser and try to drop---what=# drop type record;ERROR:  RemoveType: type '_record' does not existwhat=# ---But I can still see that data type if I do \dT as superuser.The problem I have now is that whenever I do a pg_dump I get "owner of data type record appear to be invalid"Wha
 t else can I do?3 features request.1.  Is there any support in the future for returning data type "record" from a pl/pgsql function?  I would like to call a function and get a nice rows of data.  Currently I am joining lots of data with separator, returning varchar and then parsing it at my front end.2. When I do pg_dumpall C functions don't end up in the dump.   Is it possible to dump and restore everything including C functions?3.  Is it possible at all in the future to do major upgrade without having to do initdb?  Is there any serious reasons why initdb is required to do a major upgrade?  My pg server has to be up 24x7 and I don't see any way to do initdb without stopping the server.Thanks for such a great product.k.w.