Re: pg_hba.conf

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: hodges(at)xprt(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf
Date: 2002-12-22 12:57:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 07:43:35 -0800,
hodges(at)xprt(dot)net wrote:
> Is there a line for the pg_hba.conf file that will allow
> all connections by remove web browsers?

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if "remove" is replaced by
"remote", there isn't a web interface to postgres.

> I tried
> host all trust

That definitely won't work.

> and
> host all 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 trust

This rule only matches if the connecting IP address is 0.0.0.0. You may have
meant to use a mask of 0.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.255. Also note that
this is older format that won't work with version 7.3 (and I don't think
it works with 7.2 either).

> Also is this thing sensitive to white space?

I think that only spaces and tabs can be used as separators and that multiple
connsecutive spaces and/or tabs will be treated the same as a single space
or tab.

> How does it decide what variable each value relates to?

By position. (Though the first keyword determines what other values
are expected.)